Day 2/21 - He Is Near

Welcome to Day 2 of 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting!
To help you on this journey, we have provided a prayer guide to help guide you. You can access it here. Our daily devotional is modeled after the "First 15". This is a habit we want to create that takes the first 15 minutes of your day and dedicates it to spending time with the Lord.

FIRST 15:
5 Minutes - Worship
We made a worship playlist that you can use during this time of worship!
Spotify
Apple Music
Youtube

5 Minutes - God's Word
Philippians 4:4-5
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Prayer is the link that connects us to God! He wants to be near us, to have a relationship with us and to be a part of our lives. As believers, this is so important! Each new day comes with the fresh reminder that we can’t do this on my own. Aren't you grateful that you don’t have to? See, to impact our families, community and world we need a connection to something greater... prayer is the starting line. Let’s go back. Immediately after Jesus ascended to Heaven, the Early Church “returned to Jerusalem…to an upper room” and “continued with one accord in prayer...” (Acts 1:12-14). Prayer was the first thing they did. The disciples totally depended on it—they weren't making a move without talking to God first. If the guys who walked beside Jesus for three years depended on the connection that comes through prayer, how much more should we?
For many of us, prayer can be intimidating. We’re just not exactly sure what to do.
See, it’s not about impressing God with our “perfect prayers”, or informing Him of the things He already knows. It’s about inviting Him in. It can be so powerful if we get this: when we pray, we are inviting God into our lives.
When we do, we experience 3 things:
  • Relationship. When we pray, God gives us the joy and privilege of walking with Him. We no longer have to face everything all on our own, or deal with it through our own strength. James 4:8 reminds us that when we draw close to God, he draws close to us!
  • Development. As we pray, God is growing us. Have you ever prayed and didn’t receive immediately what you asked for? What did you do? You kept on praying, but you also began to search your heart and life to see if something was hindering God’s answer. Many times there is. God uses prayer to grow us!
  • Dependency. God never wanted us to live our lives independently of Him. If He just did everything for us and we never had to pray, soon we might take things for granted. We would stop relying on God and in turn rely on ourselves. There’s a better way.
Here's what you need to know: prayer connects us to God! That’s why we tell God what He already knows. He knows what we need before we ask, but we’re definitely specifically told to pray and to ask—not to impress or inform Him, but to invite Him in. Aren't you thankful for that? It takes the pressure off. It’s all about a closeness with our Creator.

5 Minutes - Prayer (can be read aloud)
Lord, I thank for your goodness, grace, and power that is at work in our lives. I’m so grateful that I can experience a relationship with you. Lord I ask that during this time of prayer and fasting I would intentionally depend on you in a greater way and bring you into every situation. Help me not to rely on my own strength but on you and you alone. In Jesus name, amen.

Related Posts

15 Comments

Catherine - January 7th, 2020 at 4:17am

Thank you for reminding me that I need to solely rely on God. Sometimes I may allow circumstances to cause me to be vulnerable and rely on people, but He that is in me is greater than anyone in this world; all powerful. He is all I need.

Troy Mowatt - January 7th, 2020 at 5:21am

Amen

Josh Ramirez - January 7th, 2020 at 5:32am

God is so good to us. Thank you Lord for given us grace and your love, something that we do not deserve. You never fail us and are always there. Thanks you for listening to us and forgive us when we do not listen to you.

Haley - January 7th, 2020 at 5:35am

I love this! I’m so glad that I don’t have to do it alone! God has me and wants me to be dependent on Him!!! These daily reads are really helping me on my fast and to apply to my daily life!!! Thank you!!!🙏🏼🙌🏼🙂

Luis Trevino - January 7th, 2020 at 5:59am

Relationship/Development/Dependency

Kendall Thomas - January 7th, 2020 at 5:59am

Good morning and Amen

Pamela - January 7th, 2020 at 6:06am

I am not alone! He is helping me with every step I take. Thank you Jesus for this forum and church that is truly bible based and life giving. Thank you for this encouragement to draw closer to you. I love you Lord of my life.

Sandra Arce - January 7th, 2020 at 6:41am

Thank you God for hearing my prayers to watch and protect my family and friends on the island of Puerto Rico from so many and frequent earthquakes. I know that your mighty hand is over the whole island. Amen!

Laurence Harmon - January 7th, 2020 at 7:37am

This world can sometime show its ugly face and be real Cruel. I cant and I wont go through it alone I need the holy spirit by my side everyday every hour every second.

Kathy - January 7th, 2020 at 8:18am

Philippians 4:4-5

5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

This really spoke to me this morning. How can I possibly identify myself with the gentleness of God if I’m not in tune with His spirit? I can’t! It just takes one drive down Garth road at 5:00pm on a weekday and I lose my salvation!! When I am intentional about staying connected to Jesus, I’m not shaken to the core when the storms of life hit. During my divorce I was deeply connected to Jesus through prayer out of sheer desperation... He was oxygen to me and I NEEDED His comforting presence. He was all I had. I was faithful and diligent to pray daily for my husband and my family to be restored. He heard my cries and He answered me! It’s easy to reach out to God through pray when life is falling apart and I’m desperate for Him. It’s like having a teenager... your lucky to get a five word sentence most days, but when they “need” something suddenly they rise up from their cave and it’s, “hi momma, whatcha doin’?” 🙄 I have become complacent like that with my prayer life. I don’t seek an intimate connection unless I’m in need and that breaks my heart and His... because I know how much He loves me and wants to spend time with me. What could I possibly be missing out on because I’m not consistently seeking God through prayer like my life depended on it?!? I can’t even imagine! My inner teenager repents of that selfishness. More than anything I want to be identified with Jesus. I want people to experience His grace, mercy and love through me. I’m not able to do that unless I continue to deepen my relationship with Him through prayer. I’m committed to seeking Him like my life depends on it... because it does.

Brooke - January 7th, 2020 at 8:51am

I'm just now learning about God and what it means to have a relationship with Him. I'd have never thought that I would be as close as I am to Him now a year ago. Thank you for helping me grow in my faith.

David - January 7th, 2020 at 12:29pm

Knowing that I have a God to rely on, my heart conforms to the thought of this : It's not what happens to me that defines me, it's how I respond with God in those situations

Portia - January 7th, 2020 at 5:01pm

Amen

Harold Dixson - January 7th, 2020 at 7:01pm

Thx for the encouragement. I'm starting off shaky, but I will press on to the end.

Carolyn Morton - January 7th, 2020 at 7:16pm